9.23.2006

Is there any hope for us?

After sitting here for half of a hour I am still not sure what direction this is headed. So be it.

At what point should our activism manifest itself?

It's a thought that runs though my head over and over the last 10 or so days. Driving to work, finding something to eat, watching videos on youtube, listening to music, the moments before sleep, the moments after. What am I doing? Am I doing enough? Am I doing anything?

Bill and I met this guy, "King Anarchy", and as much as a pretentious bastard he could be, he said/wrote something one time that made a lot of sense. (In terms of vegetarianism/veganism/eating whatever the fuck you want): Not eating meat doesn't stop the creation/production of cows for consumption.

He is right. Me not shopping at walmart does not make walmart go away. But neither does shoplifting at walmart. The thing most likely affected by that act is some other human working there to support themselves or family.

That is where I am. Do I eat meat, shop at walmart, drive a suv, vote, watch 10 hours of tv and work at a job that supports sweatshops abroad and the exploitation of workers at home? Or does it matter? Me not doing those things doesn't tear down the giant, but doing those things builds it up, right?

I've heard the saying "be the change you want to see". I like it. I agree with it. But sometimes it feels like it doesn't matter.

I'd like to say I feel better. I think I will go to bed instead.

3 Comments:

Blogger Whit said...

For the record, I drive an SUV, and sadly it gets better gas mileage than many of the sedans and other family-friendly vehicles we looked at. It also has better safety ratings and the ample space that a family of four plus dogs requires.

I'm talking about the Vue, not the Explorer. The Explorer thinks it's funny to guzzle gas and shop at Walmart. It supports sweatshops. Sometimes it stops at burger joints that aren't even on the way home.

23/9/06 9:31 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I've had a lot of similar thoughts and it is hard to find that balance or calling or whatever language you give it... that thing that does not just boycott, but acts. One the same hand, I do not shop at Walmart, so I boost other local business instead and this is the least I can do in that regard. Better than nothing, but Walmart isn't my mane shtick of what I'd really like to focus on, so I don't know if I would ever picket or anything like that. Anyway, I'm tired.

22/10/06 6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's hope. Yes, becoming vegetarian or vegan will in the end mean less cattle. Especially if this person is one in many choosing a meat free diet.

Yes, not shopping at walmart will hurt the store, or at least force them to adapt to what you want. Again, it's all a numbers game. As an individual, do what you can, and others elsewhere will do what they can too.

There's a revolution starting. It's in response to Global Warming. A new awareness is forming.

Check out www.greatnewsnetwork.org

19/1/07 6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home